They say sitting is the new smoking but for some of us it’s also pretty unavoidable. Whether you’re working in an office, studying at home or creating a masterpiece in a coffee shop, yoga can help to undo some of the damage.
These classes target those areas of the body where tension can often build up: upper back and shoulders, hips and lower back. You’ll also find classes to help you get out of your head and into your body – especially useful after a day in front of a computer.
1. Bring it on home – A mellow music flow – David Lurey / 45 mins
A gorgeous slow and steady Vinyasa class – try this one before work too to get you in a calm focused state of mind.
2. A short psoas (class) – Sandra Carson / 30 mins
The psoas muscle can feel tight and short after a day of sitting. Lengthen it out with Sandra, our psoas queen!
3. Releasing rounded shoulders– Lisa Petersen / 15 mins
A short Somatics sequence for anyone with tight pecs, sore necks, rounded shoulders, restricted breathing or ‘deskitis’.
4. Relax after work – Esther Ekhart / 30 mins
Grab a few props and relax the hips, shoulders, chest and back. Esther finishes with a meditation to soothe your busy mind.
5. Yin wall practice – MacKenzie Miller / 40 mins
Get your feet up with different versions of legs up the wall pose and take the tension out of your hips.
6. Yoga for your work break – Francesca Guisti / 25 mins
If you can get chance to practise in your lunch break, this class from Francesca will give you energy and focus you for the rest of your day.
7. Moving the chi in arms, shoulders, chest & back – José de Groot / 1hr
This Yin Yang class is great if you feel stagnant or tense in your upper body. If you have less time try Stimulating chi flow in the joints.
8. Brain balance. Total reset for your brain & body – Marlene Smits / 50 mins
Recalibrate and restore with Marlene’s powerful Kundalini-inspired class with movement, mantra and Pranayama.
9. Unwind your monkey mind! – James Reeves / 45 mins
A perfect mix of Hatha and Yoga Nidra for (as James says), for those of you who are desk-bound and all up in your heads with ‘brain-work’!
10. Opening for shoulders, hips and quads – Nichi Green / 30 mins
Explore some Ashtanga-style poses to target those problem areas of the body that the desk-bound are all too familiar with. Great after driving or flying too.
More like this
- You can find all these classes and more in my playlist: Yoga for the desk-bound
- Office Yoga, simple exercises for behind your desk
- Looking after your body while you’re working from home
Download these classes to your app
EkhartYoga members can download these classes to our free offline viewing app. Switch off your wifi and practise without distractions!