The mature King
In his great power the King has positive qualities of being a community-based leader, offering clear guidance to the people in his ‘Kingdom,’ and organising the many aspects of life into a clear and logical order. Able to tap into a deep wisdom to be a moral leader to others, the King can rule with a broad social vision and discernment. Integrity is a key quality of the King and he mends broken relationships, keeps his word, acts with honesty, and takes responsibility for his actions.
The immature King
When abused, the power of the King leads to greed and dominating control, switching from the role of provider to one of generating fear or scarcity. Lack of consciousness of this power easily turns great Kings into Dictators. It’s an important responsibility for a leader to also maintain humble pride.
The King off and on the mat
Embody ‘the King’ and be sure to take the lead when the opportunity appears. Then, use your role as the leader to find ways in which you can empower others and bring out their greatness instead of boasting about your own.
The King off the mat
For those following “The 5 archetypes of men” programme, take these body, mind and soul tips with you through both weeks of “The King”
– Stand tall with a humble pride (in your body) … all week long. In line at the bank, talking to friends, etc… Use your posture emulate The King.
– Look people in the eye with a sense of interest and depth.
– Clearly identify somewhere in your life where you are asked to lead others and observe how you use the power given to you. Write it down and reference it through the week.
– Find specific ways to empower others and highlight their greatness. Note your method and results.
– Define on paper and then embody the traits of a true leader in your eyes.
The King on the Mat – for EkhartYoga members
This is the recommended schedule for those following “The 5 archetypes of men” program
Week 1 – Practise ‘The King’ class (above) at least three times in the first week to let the words and concepts sink in.
Week 2 – The Second week, practise the following videos as your energy allows:
- Centered, alive & awake – a 30 min Hatha flow perfect for the morning
- Standing strong – a 30 min Hatha class to help build your strength and flexibility
- Hanuman’s super powers – a 75 min Vinyasa flow class that will be slightly more challenging as you work towards the splits.
Some other recommended classes and talks
- Strength, flexibility & balance by Olav Aarts
- Staying grounded amidst intense thoughts/feelings – a talk with Jeff Foster
- Energize your morning by Raghunath
Read more about other archetypes in this series:
- The Warrior – protector, disciplinarian and decision maker…
- The Joker – playful, humorous but also insightful and honest…
- The Lover – emotional, sensual and romantic …
- The Magician – intuitive, knowledgeable, mysterious…