by Angie Booth
These sugar-free bars are great for after exercise as the protein from the hemp powder will help repair muscles. The almonds are packed with vitamin E and the dates are a good source of soluble fibre and help to lower cholesterol.
- 200g almonds (pre-soaked overnight)
- 200g Medjool dates (Medjool dates are best as they are plumper. If you can’t get them just add a little hot water to your dates to soften them)
- 60g hemp protein powder
- 1 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
You’ll need a blender, brownie tin, greaseproof/baking paper, cling film.
How to make them
- Blend all the ingredients together until you have a sticky mixture – add some more dates if it still seems dry.
- Line your baking tray with cling film and then put the mixture into the tray.
- Press the mixture down firmly. You could use the bottom of a glass if you want a smooth surface, or your knuckles will do!
- Put the tray in the fridge and leave it for 20 minutes.
Once it has chilled cut the mixture into small bars and wrap them in baking paper. Place in a sealed container and store in the fridge. They will last about one week.
You can add in extra seeds such as pumpkin or sunflower seeds. Cashew nuts would work in place of almonds. Pre-soak the nuts for at least 3 hours to soften them, this will also make them easier to digest.