by Shlomit Singer-Shamir
This is a vegan variation of Labane (or Labneh) cheese, a Middle-Eastern cheese made from yoghurt. It takes about ten minutes to make, can be kept in the fridge for about a week and becomes thicker and tastier with time.
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts (if your blender isn’t powerful enough, you can soak these for a few hours beforehand)
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds – sliced
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 3-4 large spoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup boiled water
- 2 large spoons olive oil
- Blend the cashew and almonds in a blender or Magimix.
- Gradually add the rest of ingredients – start with 3 spoons of lemon juice and 1/2 cup water and add more of both if required. Keep blending until the mixture is white and smooth.
- Taste and add more salt and lemon, if necessary.
- Pour the cheese into a jar and transfer to the fridge. (You can also eat it straight away).
- Garlic and dill: Mix half of the ingredients with 1/2 garlic clove and garnish with chopped dill.
- Olives: Mix half of the ingredients with chopped olives (about 10).
- Za’atar (a fragrant, Middle Eastern spice mixture) and olive oil.
Enjoy more Vegan recipes from Shlomit:
About the author
From a young age, movement and nutrition have been a big part of Shlomit’s life, and she became a vegan seven years ago. She practised Ashtanga yoga for around 18 years, before undertaking a kids’ teacher training (25hrs) and qualifying as a yoga teacher in Amsterdam (200RYT). Recently her passions combined and she now creates recipes for a vegan restaurant in Haarlem (The Netherlands), sells home-baked pastries on request for special events, and teaches yoga.