The winter months can make you feel more lethargic, especially when the holiday season is over. Here are a few foods that will help you stay warm and energised during the cold winter months.
It contains the natural stimulant theobromine, which boosts your energy.
The complex carbohydrates, fibre, B-vitamins and iron in whole grains such as brown rice or oats will keep you energized until your next meal.
Dehydration is one of the main causes of a lack of energy. Try to drink about three litres a day to stay energized.
Lentils and other legumes stabilise blood glucose levels and can help prevent a mid-afternoon crash.
Oranges are high in vitamin C, which helps turn fat to energy.
Warming and energizing kitchadi recipe
In this delicious Ayurvedic dish Kitchadi, several warming and energizing foods are combined.
- 2/3 cup of brown rice
- 2/3 cup of lentils of your choice
- 3.5 to 4 cups of water
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1tsp coriander
- 1tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 2 carrots
- 1 zucchini
- 1 cup of broccoli
- 1tsb sesame oil
- fresh parsley/coriander
1. Add the rice, lentils, water, ginger, turmeric, coriander, oregano, cinnamon and cumin together in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and let it simmer.
2. Cut the carrots, zucchini and broccoli into small pieces.
3. Add the carrot to the saucepan.
4. After half an hour add the rest of the vegetables.
5. When the vegetables are tender, add the sesame oil and season to taste.
6. Add some fresh parsley and coriander to serve.