Sphinx Pose / Sphinx Pose
Step by step
- Begin by lying face down on the stomach with your feet a comfortable distance apart.
- Prop yourself up on your arms, placing your elbows underneath the shoulders, or a little forward from your shoulders.
- Forearms can be parallel to each other and hands flat, or you can bring your hands together.
- Lift your head and chest reaching forward and up through the spine, dropping the shoulder blades while pulling the arms gently back. Engage the legs by press the tops of the feet to the mat, and pulling up the knee caps.
- While holding the pose, relax your jaw and soften your eyes.
- To release, exhale as you slowly lower out of the pose. Relax your arms at your side and turn your head to a side, or rest your forehead on your folded arms.
- Strengthens the spine
- Opens the heart, stretches the lungs and shoulders
- Great to counteract mild depression
- invigorates the body, therapeutic for fatigue
Try it in class
Build confidence in your practice and in your life - for members only
Teacher: Esther Ekhart
Level: All Levels
Style: Vinyasa Flow, Hatha
Duration: 60 mins
Not a member yet? Subscribe and get full access to all of our online classes