Wide Legged Forward Bend C / Prasarita Padottanasana C
Step by Step
- From Tadasana, step the feet wide apart, about your legs length. Your feet are parallel to each other. Maybe even heels slightly out compared to the toes.
- Lift inner arches, by drawing inner ankles up, firm outer edge of feet and big toes into floor. Engage your thighs by drawing them up.
- If you can, bring your palms together behind your back and clasp your fingers. If that's too hard, just grab a hold of opposite elbows with your hands.
- Inhale lengthen the front of the body, exhale fold forward from the hips, keeping the back straight and the chest open, and keeping the hips over the heels. Take the crown of the head towards the floor, and if your hands are clasped, take your arms all the way towards the floor, while you maintain the sensation of the shoulderblades on the back.Take a few breaths here.
- In the full forward bend you release the head down, and with a long neck, you can place the crown of the head on the floor.
- Stay in this pose anywhere between 5 and 10 breaths.
- Important is to keep the back as long as possible, and the front of the body as open as possible. Be careful not to overstretch your hamstrings.
- To come out of this pose, inhale and lift back up as you press into your feet.
- Come back into Mountain Pose.
- Stretches the back and inside of the legs
- Opens the hips
- Stretches the spine, shoulders and chest
- Grounds you and calms the mind
- Can relieve mild backache