Extended Hand To Big Toe Pose A-B -Utthita Hasta Padangustasana A-B
Step by step
- Start in Tadasana / Mountain pose
- Take a point at eye level to focus on with a soft gaze.
- On an exhalation, bring the weight on your left foot and lift your right knee up. Reach with your right hand for your big toe.
- Firm your left hip in and lengthen your spine. Keep your shoulders blades firmly on the back, and your chest open. As you inhale, start extending your right leg out to the front, without compromising the length in spine.
- Stay for about 5 breaths, then as you inhale, bring your leg out to the right and stay for 5 more breaths.
- To come out of the pose, on an inhalation, bring your leg back to the centre. As you exhale lower the foot back to the floor.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Keeps the hips and hamstrings flexible.
- Strengthens the legs, ankles and core muscles.
- Improves concentration and focus.
- Improves balance and stability.
Watch out for
- This yoga pose requires good balance and really works the small muscles in the ankles and feet. Practise some simple ankle rotations after coming out of this pose if you feel the strain.
- Take care not to overstretch the hamstrings - it’s fine to keep the raised leg bent and take hold of the knee instead of the toe.
- Try using a strap looped around the sole of your foot instead of hooking your big toe with your fingers and thumb
- To extend this pose for a longer period, use a wall as a prop. Press your raised heel firmly into the wall, keeping your leg active.
- Try the pose lying down in Supta Padangusthasana / Reclined Big Toe pose