Pose dedicated to the sage Marichi A -Marichyasana A
Step by step
- Start in Dandasana / Staff Pose.
- Bend your left knee bringing your heel close in to your left sitting bone, with the knee pointing up.
- Keep the right leg straight and active by making a slight internal rotation of the right inner thigh. Push out with the heel and ball of the foot.
- Push your hands on your bent knee creating length in the spine and grounding the sitting bones.
- Exhale and fold forward over the right leg, your left knee or shin will be tucked into the armpit.
- Reach your left arm forward and internally rotate it by pointing the thumb to the floor and the palm to the left.
- Wrap your left arm around your bent leg bringing the back of the hand to the side of the thigh or the hip.
- Inhale reach the right arm forward and internally rotate it.
- Wrap the right arm behind you clasping the left hand or wrist.
- Exhale and fold further keeping the lower abdominal muscles strong and the right leg active, toes pointing up.
- Increases flexibility in the back, shoulders and hamstrings.
- Stimulates the abdominal organs.
- Improves digestion.
- The sitting bones of your bent leg will tend to lift off the floor a little. If you are lifting a lot try sitting up on a block.
- Focus on the fold more than trying to clasp your hands together, use a strap or you can just grab your waistband or shirt.
- You can hold the bent leg with your opposite hand as you come forward to help keep it closer to the body. Use the knee to help you lever yourself forward with the left arm.
Watch out for
- Try to avoid hunching the shoulders and upper back. Instead think about bringing the shoulder blades down the back.
- Take care if you have lower back or neck problems.
You can vary the position of the outstretched leg in this pose:
- Bring the foot to the outer edge of the hip as in Hero Pose / Virasana.
- Or, cross the foot behind the opposite heel as if you are coming into Cow Face Pose / Gomukhasana. This variation is good preparation for Marichyasana B where the leg is in Half Lotus.