Golden milk, or turmeric milk, has become quite popular lately and for good reason. Turmeric has been used as a spice in Indian recipes and as an Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years. It offers many health benefits since it has both anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. Turmeric is also used to relieve swelling and pain due to headaches and wounds and is called ‘natural aspirin’ in Ayurvedic medicine.
When combined with other healing ingredients in this Golden milk, it helps you to sleep well at night, it balances your hormones, and it’s warming, soothing and delicious. As a bonus, I've found that Golden milk helps to relieve menstrual cramps. It's also incredibly easy to make! Here's my favourite recipe.
- 5 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup organic turmeric powder
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 cups of almond milk (or rice, coconut or your favourite milk)
- Pinch of cinnamon
- First, make a Golden paste by combining the coconut oil, turmeric, water, and black pepper in a saucepan and simmer for about 10 minutes. Let the mixture cool down and put it in the refrigerator in a jar. It'll keep for about two weeks.
- To make the Golden milk, warm the almond milk (or alternative) and 1 teaspoon of the Golden paste. Whisk until fully mixed. Add cinnamon to taste.