In her yoga classes, Afke focuses on moving with the breath - the breath is the base. Her motto is:
"Don't take life too seriously but do take your heart seriously. Take time to practise and to live your life as close to your true self as you can."
Afke's pre-yoga career was in film and TV, modelling and the arts scene. However, her 'rockstar' lifestyle began to feel more and more superficial and she started to long for a healthier and more authentic way to live.
She gave up all previous attachments – her relationship, work, house, glamorous life – and started travelling the world humbly. Whilst exploring many cultures, peoples and places, she reconnected to the world around her. She found so much joy in nature, in stillness, in being pure... and yoga entered naturally as a daily practice. In her longing for freedom, yoga became a profound structure; the fertile ground where she could plant her seeds - seeds that not only would serve her but also others.
For more information, visit Afke's website.
Study and teachers:
- 2010 Jivamukti with Sharon Gannon and David Life
- 2011 Vipassana meditation (S.N. Goenka)
- 2012 Hatha Vinyasa Yoga 500+ hours Svaha Yoga
- 2014 Prana Vinyasa - training with Shiva Rea
- 2015 Yin Yoga 200 hours RYT
- Other important teachers: Clive Sheridan, Sarah Powers, Rusty Wells, Lady Ruth, Mooji, Eckhart Tolle, Osho.
- Alongside daily yoga, Afke is a practitioner of Tantra, Healing love (Mantak Chia), Martial Arts (Taikiken, Chi Kung) and massage.