Since you are what you eat and it’s therefore very important to only eat good stuff, it’s important as well to adjust your picnic accordingly.
So, what to bring on a yogic picnic?
Of course, a yoga mat to stretch on before eating. Besides that, here are my favorite things to pack for a picnic!
- Water! Lots and lots of water. I love to add some extra ingredients to my water, such as fresh mint leafs, slices of cucumber, slices of lemon of a little ginger to aid the digestive system.
- Something to nibble on. Such as a mixture of raw nuts, goji berries, raisins and inca berries.
- A green smoothie. Try a smoothie with some spinach, mint leafs, apples and rice milk. Mmm!
- Fresh fruits. Especially delicious are all kinds of berries, watermelon and pineapple. Make sure you wash and if necessary cut them before you pack them.
- Raw chocolate. Eat it before it melts. 😉
- Something savory. Such as the dish you find below.
Quinoa with chickpeas and greens
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp seasalt
- 4 cups chopped bitter greens, such as kale or dandelion
- 3 cups chopped watercress
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 sliced avocado
- ½ chopped cucumber
- ¼ cup toasted sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat the coconut oil in a pan. Add the cumin, coriander and salt. Stir for a few seconds and add the bitter greens and watercress. Stir until the veggies are just wilted.Remove from the fire and stir in all other ingredients. Transfer to a large bowl or several glass jars and bring along with you for your picnic. This is more than enough for four hungry yogi(ni)s.