Bound Angle Pose / Butterfly Pose / Baddha Konasana
Step by step
- Sit with your legs outstretched in front of you, you may want to sit on a blanket or pillow to raise your hips, so you can sit with a straight back.
- Pull in your feet and place the soles of the feet together, as close as possible to your pelvis, let the knees fall out to your sides.
- Release your groins, the head of the thigh bones, and allow the knees to relax down as well, don’t push them.
- Hold your big toes with the first two fingers and your thumb, or hold the outsides of your feet.
- Keep your pelvis level, sit with a straight back.
- Firm your shoulderblades into your upper back, to help open your heart.
- You can stay in this pose for 5 - 10 breaths.
- To come out you lift your knees and straighten your legs again.
- Are you finding it difficult to sit up straight, is your back rounding? Place a folded blanket or block under your hips to keep the pelvis and spine upright.
- Ankles sore? Try moving your feet further away from your groin.
- Strain in your inner thighs and groin? Place some supports under your knees or raise your feet on a block or pillow.
- Helps in opening your hips.
- Stretches groins, inner thighs and ankles.
- Grounding and uplifting for your mood.
- Stimulates abdominal organs.
- Beneficial for menstrual pains.
- Stimulates the circulation in the pelvic area.
Watch out for...
- Fatigue.... if you are nearing your limit, one tends to forget about posture and so the lower back can slump. Keep your chest open and lifted and your back straight.
- Overstretching, don't force your knees down to make a certain shape. Work on gradually lowering the knees using the exhalations to help release the muscles.
- If you are comfortable in the Bound Angle Pose come into a forward fold variation. On an exhale bring your chest forward between the knees. Hinge from the hips not the waist.
- Remember to keep your back straight. Your arms can be stretched out in front of you (depending on flexibility) or place your elbows against your inner thighs or calves.
- Butterfly Pose is the Yin Yoga version of Bound Angle. In Butterfly the heels are much further away from the body so that the legs make a diamond shape. Allow the back to round as you softly fold into the pose. You can stay here for 1 - 5 minutes.
- Complimentary poses
- Try it in class