Step by step
- Sit on your heels, then begin to lean back on your hands or forearms, allowing your knees to lift as much as comfortable.
- Keep your chest open and your neck comfortable.
- Hold for 1 minute.
- To come out of the pose, press yourself up, gently bring your knees down, and your weight forward.
- Straighten your legs in front of you.
- Just sitting on your heels might be a deep enough stretch for you. If that’s the case, placing a folded blanket under the ankles will decrease the intensity of the stretch, and a folded blanket or a cushion in between your thighs and calves will decrease the pressure in the knees.
Watch out for
- Avoid if, despite using props, you feel any sharp sensations in the knees or ankles.
- Hold onto your knees, keeping your chest open, and gently pull your knees towards you, for a deeper stretch.
- Try the one leg variation, by bringing one foot flat on the floor while stretching the opposite ankle.