Step by step
- From a seated position, bring the soles of your feet together, close to your pelvis, allowing your knees to fall out to the sides.
- Ground your sitting bones and lengthen your spine
- Hold onto the outsides of your feet and press the soles of your feet towards each other.
- If your body allows it, fold forward from the hips, keeping your spine long and your collar bones spread
- Stay for 5 to 10 breathes
- To come out of the pose, sit up straight again, lift your knees and straighten your legs
- Sit up on a cushion or a folded blanket to encourage your pelvis to tilt forward
- Increases hip mobility and stretches the inner thighs
- Grounding and calming
Watch out for
- Focus on keeping your spine long and your chest open, rather than on bringing the knees to the floor
- Keep breathing towards the stretched area
- Butterfly Pose is the Yin Yoga version of Bound Angle. In Butterfly the heels are much further away from the body so that the legs make a diamond shape. Allow the back to round as you softly fold into the pose. You can stay here for 1 – 5 minutes.